Want to change the world?
Innovate the Cape invites high school learners to think of the challenges they see in their communities and dream of solutions to them. Teams of 2-5 learners join the online membership and submit application forms with a proposed challenge and potential solutions. These proposals are marked and given feedback from an international judging panel. A group of finalists is selected to receive up to R2,500 to give their idea a first shot. They also receive mentorship, training workshops and advice from an international community of advisors to help them make their ideas a reality. The top finalists receive further support and R2,500 in funding. The overall winners receive R10,000 and long term mentorship to implement their idea.
Why take part?
Innovate the Cape is a platform that provides you with all you need to get started as a social innovator. Provided you have the passion to do so, anyone can change the world. What you can expect if your proposal is accepted:
- become part of a network of young innovators on the same mission as you
- receive advice and support from our local and international mentors
- attend innovation workshops and get equipped to design your solutions
- open up further opportunities to join local programs for innovators and entrepreneurs
- receive funds to develop your idea
How to apply
Option 1 – Online application form
- Register your team and fill out the application form
- Submit the final application for review by 30 June 2017
Option 2 – Hard copy application
- Download Innovate the Cape 2017 – Application Form
- When complete email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 June 2017
- April – June: Application process
- 30 June: Application deadline
- July: Receive feedback from our local and international judges
- August: 8 teams are selected
- August – October: Meet the other teams and attend innovation workshops to develop your ideas
- 28 October: Finalists pitch their ideas at our Final Showcase. Winners receive a further R10,000.
|Impact||What is the potential impact of your project on your community?|
|Time||You need to develop your project within 5 weeks|
|Cost||Can you create something with a maximum of R2,500?|
|Capacity||Does your group have the necessary skill to roll this idea out? Remember, you will receive help from our mentors.|
|Sustainability||Is it socially uplifting, environmentally friendly and economical?|
|Appropriateness||Does your idea solve a specific problem, that targets a ‘pressing’ issue South Africans face? For example, we would prefer an idea on heating water for cooking over an idea on heating a swimming pool for winter.|